Air conditioners are a necessity to combat the warm summers in Mississippi. Surviving the heat requires an efficiently operating air conditioner and when it falls short, it can make being in your home uncomfortable in the middle of summer. Noticing any short comings should solicit a call to a professional to minimize the deterioration and ensure the unit will last all summer when it comes to the air conditioner. The issue of short cycling would like to be discussed today by Steve’s Heating & Air.
What is AC Short Cycling?
When the air conditioner switches on and only for a short time frame runs to the flip off, and then starts the whole process over again shortly thereafter is an anomaly known as short cycling. Those few that do often ignore the problem, not realizing the extent of the problem, though most do not even recognize the short cycling when it happens. To identify and execute appropriate solutions, short cycling indicates a problem that takes a trained expert, usually. The air conditioner takes a toll on the unit and short cycling increases energy bills.
What Causes Short Cycling in Air Conditioning?
Due to the listed events below is air conditioner that is short cycling, usually.
1) Over the evaporator coils, frozen layer of ice.
2) For a change or cleaning, air filters are overdue.
3) The A/C oversized for your home.
4) Low refrigerant in the air conditioner.
5) The A/C unit is malfunctioning.
How Do You Fix Short Cycling?
Take the following steps below if you suspect short cycling.
1) Change or clean the air filter. For your HVAC system, air filters are the simplest, yet most often overlooked maintenance. Depending on the individual factors, homeowners should change the air filter every 4-12 weeks. Until they are filled to capacity, you can find the right pattern for your air filters by checking them in 4 weeks from a fresh filter and every week inspect them. To confirm the weeks your unit’s filter, need to be cleaned or replaced, note the weeks and do this a few times in a row. When there are several people living in the home, people can expect to change the filters more frequently those with indoor pets, smokers, climate, and those who are sensitive to allergies and asthma attacks. Reusable filters can be cleaned; disposable filters should be replaced, make certain to follow manufacturers’ directions on the type of filter. Check the air filters first when you notice the air conditioner short cycling.
2) Call a licensed HVAC professional. For other reasons the short cycling is occurring, certified experts need to be called. A professional is required to rectify many issues, such as when there is low refrigerant, oversized units, poor electrical systems and frozen coils. Make certain to immediately switch off the cooling system from the thermostat before you call the pros to avoid further damage if you notice that the coils are frozen. To determine the steps in maximizing the performance, the technician will run diagnostics, test the system, and inspect the unit.